Activities - September 17th 2013

Mayfield Village Activities Committee Meeting
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 6:45 p.m.
Civic Center

Attending:  Mary Ann Brastoff, Jean Britton, Terrie Haycox, Dona Kless, Steve Jerome, Patsy Mills, Mary Singer, Sean Supler, Bill Thomas, Debbie Thomas and Danielle Echt.

(Click here for a print friendly/pdf document)

Introduction:  The meeting was called to order at approximately 6:49 p.m.  Steve asked for approval of the May 21, Minutes.   Mary made a motion and Dona seconded.  All members agreed.

Cruise Night Evaluation

  • The committee agreed that there was a big crowd again this year.
  • Bill asked if the Community Room parking lot was for handicap parking.  The committee members said they thought it was for handicap, Village use and volunteer parking.
  • Patsy inquired about no parking signs on Wilson Mills Road.   The committee members said there is no room to park on Wilson Mills.   Bill said he talked to Doug and the Service Department has never put them up before.
  • Bill said the band’s truck was parked at Yours Truly and it was not in the best spot, it blocked some views.   The committee members suggested having it moved to the Community Room parking lot. 
  • Bill said that Yours Truly would like Ricky and the Rockets in 2014 but the band at Austin’s will alternate bands.  
  • Danielle said she has not been able to put the finance report together yet but she will have it by the next meeting.  Bill said that he is still collecting money from some of the restaurants.
  • Patsy reported that over $900 was collected for Make-A-Wish from the cars that were participating in the Cruise. 
  • Patsy said that everyone seemed to like the shirts this year.
  • Danielle said that they got a new sign for the Civic Center parking lot and made sure it was up early.   It was to help curb people holding spots.   She said it worked okay, some people followed it and others didn’t.  Bill said the car clubs were the biggest problem.  Terrie said it might be something the Village could capitalize on.  The committee members like the idea but don’t know how to police the area.   If they are charged for their reserved spots then someone has to be around to make sure they get their spots and that others don’t get in for free.   The police department does not have any more officers to spare for the event. 
  • Bill said that Marra’s Market didn’t do well.  Danielle added that our slushies did not sell well either.
  • Steve said that Tommy V’s does not like participating in the event.  The committee members agreed that if he did not want to participate then tables and chairs should not be given.  Bill said that Tommy V’s put a full page ad in the Fall/Winter Recreation Brochure but added that is a separate thing.

 

Fourth of July Celebration Evaluation

  • Patsy said feedback about the fireworks was good and they were spectacular.
  • Bill said everything went well with the new company, American Fireworks.  He said the fire department was pleased.  Bill said if they could do the show again for $9,000 the Village would definitely want them back.   Patsy said that Bill should bring to Council by November.  Bill said that he will do it in October and will call American Fireworks for a quote.  
  • Terrie asked if the Fireworks would be June 28 next year and Bill said yes.  She said people sometimes ask why it’s so early.   Bill said it’s always the Saturday before Fourth of July.  Steve said there is less competition then too.   Patsy said we get a ton of people.  The committee members agreed that the Saturday before works out well.
  • Bill said there is concern for pedestrian safety along SOM by the Yours Truly plaza.  He said he could ask Doug to put up a sign.   Sean suggested one of the speed limit signs and the committee asked if  the police department owns or rents one.  Danielle said that safety would probably be an issue along Wilson Mills too, by the Civic Center.  Steve said he would discuss it with the Safety and Service Committee.

 

Summer Concert Evaluation

  • Patsy said the concert sponsored by Friends of the Library was well attended.  Bill said they want to do it again next year. 
  • Patsy asked if anyone complained about the mounds near the gazebo.   The committee members had not heard any complaints.

 

Menorah Lighting Ceremony (Wednesday, November 27, 7:00 p.m.)

  • Danielle passed around a sign-up sheet.   Three volunteers were secured and will arrive at the Community Room  at 6:30 p.m.   Danielle will remind the volunteers closer to the ceremony.
  • Patsy said she will bring a Menorah and any decorations she has.
  • Patsy asked if Michael Wolfe will be there to lead the ceremony again.  Danielle said she believes so but she will follow up with him.

 

Tree Lighting Ceremony (Sunday, December 8, 7:00 p.m.)

  • Danielle passed around a sign-up sheet.  Volunteers should arrive to the gazebo around 6:30 p.m. Danielle will remind the volunteers closer to the ceremony. A few more volunteers are still needed.  
  • Danielle and Debbie will get the supplies and make sure everything is ready.

 

Singing Angels (Saturday, December 14, 7:00 p.m.)

  • A volunteer sign-up sheet was passed around, one more volunteer is needed.    Volunteers can arrive at the Civic Center at 6:00 p.m.  Danielle will remind volunteers closer to the performance.
  • Danielle said everything went pretty well last year so she will plan everything the same as last year.

 

Open Discussion

  • The committee previously discussed purchasing two new elf suits. Terrie looked into this and came up with two costumes that she thought might work.  The committee looked at the information and picked the one they liked best.  Terrie will also look at Illusions Magic in Willowick.   Danielle will order the two costumes and have ready for the Tree Lighting in early December.  Patsy said the cleaning instructions will also be important.   It has to be machine washable or dry clean.  Elves will be able to wear their own shoes.  Danielle will follow up with Chris Barni to see if her granddaughter is available to be an elf.  Terrie will check to see if her daughter is available too.
  • A flyer for The Grove was passed out.   Bill said there is one more event for the season.   Patsy said it is the Lincoln event and there will be a lot of historic groups there.   Bill said the other events were well attended.   Steve said they have all been free.  Debbie said there were approximately 125 people at Dancing Under the Stars, 200 at Dance Stop and approximately 30 for Yoga.
  • The committee members discussed when to meet next.    If the ordinance does not require a specific number of meetings per year, the committee will not meet until January.  The committee members felt that the holiday events will go ahead as planned and they have worked out fine in the past so there is no reason to meet before them.  The events will be evaluated in January.

 

Next Meeting:  Tuesday, January 14, 6:45 p.m. at the Civic Center

Respectfully submitted,                                         

Danielle M. Echt, Assistant Recreation Director