Activities - May 21st 2013
Mayfield Village Activities Committee Meeting
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 7:00 p.m.
Attending: Mary Ann Brastoff, Jean Britton, Dona Kless, Steve Jerome, Patsy Mills, Mary Singer, Bill Thomas, Debbie Thomas and Danielle Echt.
Introduction: The meeting was called to order at approximately 7:11 p.m. Steve asked for approval of the April 2, 2013 Minutes. Mary made a motion and Debbie seconded. All members agreed.
Mother's Day Pancake Breakfast
- The committee members thought everything went well this year. They agreed that the spacing was better between the tables.
- Dona said that it was difficult serving to the tables because people wanted a lot of pancakes.
- The Village had to borrow a grill from St. Francis because the company we order from sold one of their grills so they didn’t have the amount we needed. Patsy said it was a very hot grill so there was some difficulty trying not to overcook the pancakes on that particular grill.
- Danielle said she thought there was around 20 minutes where the line was at a stand still because we couldn’t cook pancakes as fast as they were needed. The committee discussed which pancakes people were waiting on, blueberry or plain, and Mary Ann who was serving in line said it seemed 50/50. The committee members agreed that it is harder to cook the blueberry pancakes because the amount of blueberries added can be a factor and cause longer cooking time. Danielle said after noon, there was hardly a line at all though.
- Danielle reported that the biggest inventory surplus was pancake batter and sausage. There were 9 buckets of batter and approximately a case and a half of sausage leftover. In addition there were two full pans of sausage cooked. Next year it is hoped that the volunteers cook less so it is not in excess. Leftover food is donated to a local shelter.
- Patsy said her son cooked 515 pancakes. He had a two hour shift on one grill.
- Bill said the pockets were too narrow in the new aprons.
- Mary said she heard several compliments about the Girl Scout Troop. She said everyone said they were nice and always asking to help. There was also a Boy Scout Troop helping out. Both the Girl and Boy Scout troops do an outstanding job each year.
Memorial Day Weekend (Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26)
- Mary reported that they are ready. She said volunteers are always welcome to help place flags at the cemeteries on Saturday, May 25. She said Whitehaven has the most sites and volunteers can arrive at 8:30 a.m. Mary also said that Whitehaven offered to supply pizza for the volunteers.
Cruise Night (Saturday, June 8/raindate of Sunday, June 9)
- Danielle said a few more volunteers are needed. Patsy said that Randy was confused because he thought he was volunteering at the Austin’s parking lot like he has in the past. Danielle said as far as she knew, that position was never on the sign-up sheet this year. The Austin’s and Yours Truly parking lot positions were eliminated after last year’s event because the committee agreed that the flyers the volunteers passed out there can be left with the restaurants/vendors and volunteers are crucial in other positions.
- Bill said that Marra’s Market will be set up at the Civic Center to sell smoothies and other health food items. The Mayfield Hockey Team wanted to do a dunk tank as a fundraiser but decided against it. The After Prom Committee will sell root beer floats as a fundraiser. The Mayfield Village Police Department wanted to do a K-9 demonstration with Leo but has realized they need all of the officers to work/patrol during Cruise Night.
- Patsy asked the status of Deacon’s. Bill said he talked to them but with the construction they are not sure if they will be able to do anything. Danielle said that they don’t actually participate with the Village anyhow, they give their own money to Make-A-Wish usually.
- Steve asked if Pizzazz was going to participate this year. Bill said no. Steve said what about Amir Foods on Beta Drive. Bill said he could check. The committee members said Amir’s is wholesale so they may not be able to do anything. The committee members agreed that Bill could pursue them next year possibly.
Fourth of July Celebration (Saturday, June 29/raindate of Sunday, June 30)
- Danielle said a few more volunteers are needed. Chris and Elliot will run bingo.
- Bill said fireworks are all set.
- Danielle asked if we still need to secure face painters? Bill said he would look into it.
- Danielle said we are set for volunteers for Summer Concerts. She said there may be one date, July 25, where help is needed. As of now, Phil and Nona are tentatively scheduled but if they cannot do it then hopefully someone from the committee can take their place. She will notify the committee if help is needed.
- The committee agreed to meet on Tuesday, June 18 only if needed. It is hoped that the committee will reconvene in September and the summer events can be evaluated then. Danielle will correspond with the committee members after Cruise Night to see if they want to meet in June.
- The meeting concluded at 7:41 p.m.
Next Meeting: TENTATIVE: Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 6:45 p.m., Civic Center
Danielle M. Echt,
Assistant Recreation Director