Rec Board - October 16th 2013

Mayfield Village Parks & Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 7:00 p.m.
Civic Center

Attending: Pat Andrzejczyk, Kate Sullivan, Mary Murphy, Dave Perout, Meg Stifler, Bill Thomas and Danielle Echt. 

Introduction: Kate called the meeting to order at approximately 7:05 p.m.  She asked for approval of the September 18, 2013 Minutes as written.   Meg approved and Mary seconded.  All in attendance approved.

(Click here for a print friendly/pdf document)

 

Wildcat Teen Halloween

  • Bill said the event is Thursday, October 17 at Wildcat Sport & Fitness for 6th – 8th graders.    He anticipates a few hundred kids to attend.   Volunteers are always welcome.   He said he hopes to donate some of the profit to Key Club because they help with this event.  Post Note:  Jerry Turk, advisor to the club, does not want a donation. They will raise money through a pancake breakfast held at the Civic Center November 17.  Key Club is happy to volunteer and does not expect money in return.

 

Halloween Party (Saturday, October 19, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. at the Community Room)

  • Danielle said the Key Club should be all set to run nine games and Bill said Key Club will also help Paul Lynch with the Haunted House.  Danielle added that Patsy will bring the “Guess the Candy” jar to the party.
  • Meg said she will be available to decorate the Community Room on Friday beginning at 4:00 p.m.   Any members who are able to help can just show up.  Mary and Kate said that they could help.
  • Volunteers are needed to help with the kitchen, collecting money and general supervision during the party. They can arrive at 12:30 p.m.   Danielle said the Key Club members will be arriving around Noon for the games so she will make sure she is there then.
  • Danielle said she and Meg are all set with supplies and prizes for the party.

 

Halloween Window Painting Contest

  • Approximately fifty-two  6th – 8th grade students are painting on thirty-five windows.   Students could begin painting on Friday, October 18 and must be done on Wednesday, October 23.  Judging takes places on Thursday, October 24.

 

Fees at Parkview Pool

  • Bill asked if the fees should be raised.   He said the pool will never make money and fees were raised several years ago.
  • Dave said that in general, fees do increase over a period of time but it will not really help plug the financial hole the pool creates.
  • Mary asked if Parkview Pool rates were the highest around and Bill said probably.
  • Meg asked if Bill meant raising the fees for general admission or season passes.   She said that the current rate of $255 sounds like a lot for a family to pay.   She said it’s okay but would be weary of raising it more.   The committee members agreed and said they were okay with current prices. 
  • The committee members agreed not to raise prices in 2014 and decided to re-evaluate after the season.  They propose adjusting prices approximately every 5 years. 
  • Bill said he will look into when they were raised last.

 

Girl Scouts at Christmas Party

  • Bill said that the local Girl Scout Troop would like to sing a few songs at the Christmas Party.   The committee members thought it would be nice if they could sing while the kids are waiting for Santa’s arrival.  Pat suggested finding out how many girls were in the troop.   Meg said it would probably work best if there were approximately a dozen girls but it would be hard to accommodate twenty-five or so.

 

Restrooms at Soccer Fields and Softball Fields

  • Bill said he is not sure when the soccer field restrooms will be done.  He said he thought there may have been a mistake where the contractor did not receive part of the order in a timely fashion so it delayed construction a bit.
  • Bill stated that he will put the softball field restrooms on the agenda for capital improvements in 2014.  He said the utilities already exist there so that should eliminate some of the expense compared to the soccer field restrooms.   Bill said that Mayfield Village will have to pay for everything though, Progressive will not be contributing to this project.    Mary said it might be a wash then in terms of expenses when comparing Progressive’s contributions with the soccer fields to the existing utilities at the softball fields.

 

Open Discussion

  • Bill reported that the school is looking to put some logos/murals on the walls at Wildcat Sport & Fitness.   Mary said she has a neighbor who does things like that if the school is interested.  Bill said the school has already pursued using another company and they are handling it.
  • Bill said he was looking at financial information from the Debbie Hudacko Run/Walk.   He said in 2014 the committee can still give out the $1,500 in scholarships.   Dave asked how the participant numbers compare to previous years.    Bill said it is difficult to compare and determine.  Danielle added that there are so many different combinations people could have run, it makes it difficult to track individuals.  Bill said it will take some time for the hat trick to catch on.   He said it would be nice to have 150-200 runners.
  • The meeting concluded at 7:30 p.m.

 

Next Meeting: DATE CHANGE: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center

Respectfully Submitted,

Danielle M. Echt,
Assistant Recreation Director