Rec Board - November 13th 2013
Mayfield Village Parks & Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 7:00 p.m.
Attending: Pat Andrzejczyk, Stivo DiFranco, Peggy Kerver, Tom Marrie, Mary Murphy, Lori Sperling, Meg Stifler, Kate Sullivan, Bill Thomas and Danielle Echt.
Introduction: Meg called the meeting to order at approximately 7:03 p.m. She asked for approval of the October 16, 2013 Minutes as written. Pat approved and Lori seconded. All in attendance approved.
Senior Program Update
- Over 75 people attended the third annual Watercolor Artist Reception on November 9. The paintings will be on display at the Civic Center through December.
- There was a trip to Columbus for “Senior Legislator for a Day” on October 25. There are still a few openings for our trip to Oglebay on November 20.
- The next Lunch n’ Movie is December 11. The movie is “The Great Gatsby” and reservations are due by December 4.The next Foot Clinic is December 13.
- The annual Holiday Party will be Friday, December 20. Reservations are due by December 11.
- Over 225 applications to opt in for snow removal have been received. The deadline to opt out is December 31.
- Tom said the chili cook-off had a large turnout. Bill said it was a fundraiser and Tom said it was put on by the Community Partnership on Aging consortium.
Halloween Party Evaluation
- Meg thanked the committee members for decorating the day before the party.
- Meg said overall everything went well. She said the usual issues came up with Key Club and the games. Meg said that when Ron was the advisor, he always showed up. Danielle said Jerry came to the party the first year he was the advisor. Bill said the club has many activities they are scheduled to volunteer with. Meg asked if there was another group we could ask to help with the party. Bill suggested NHS. Meg said we do appreciate any help the clubs give. Danielle said that we were set with what games they were going to use but they didn’t have volunteers there on time. Danielle said at the party the two Key Club members weren’t sure if they were supposed to secure volunteers or if officers were. Danielle said she asked Jerry and he said there were kids signed up. Danielle said she would discuss further with Jerry, she isn’t sure where the miscommunication happened. Danielle said that the Key Club members do a great job running the games but it’s the planning prior to the event that seems to be a problem. Danielle suggested having the Rec Board plan the games and then just have the Key Club members show up to run the games.
- Meg said that the haunted house is great. The group needs to make sure everything is cleaned up when the party starts. She said it seems like they are running behind and then that area of the room wasn’t cleaned up completely.
- Danielle asked if there were a good amount of supplies and the committee members said yes.
Santa Ride/Party (Saturday, December 14, 10:00 a.m.– 1:30 p.m./ 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Bill reported that the ride will start at 10:00 a.m. again this year. Danielle asked if the route was published in the VOV and Peggy said it was.
- Bill said that the Girl Scouts will be at the party to sing for a short period of time. Danielle asked the committee what time would be best. The committee members agreed that the troop could sing while the kids were waiting for Santa to arrive so around 1:30 p.m.
- Meg said they have the craft already and Danielle said she will take care of the other supplies. She said the Service Department will set up the tables and chairs as well as the area for Santa.
- Volunteers have been asked to arrive around 12:45 – 1:00 p.m. Meg, Pat, Tom, Mary, Paula and Lori said they could be there. Danielle will remind everyone closer to the party.
Youth/Adult Sports Update
- Bill reported that the Adult Basketball League started and that there are eight teams in the Men’s 18 and Over League.
- Bill said that the youth MBA basketball program is getting ready to begin. Registration has started and there will be four teams in each of the 3rd – 4th and 7th – 8th grade boys leagues and eight teams in the 5th – 6th grade boys league. Sean is trying to keep the 5th – 8th grade girls league together but we have not been getting a lot of registrations the last few years so this league may not go.
- The Coed 18+ Softball League is still playing. Sean has had to push back the championship game many times due to weather so hopefully it finishes the week of November 18th.
Restrooms at Soccer Fields and Softball Fields
- Bill said the project is moving along. Pat asked what is taking so long. Bill said it’s just the construction process and it should be done by the end of November.
- Bill emailed the committee after the last meeting to show when the pool rates increased last. At that meeting the committee agreed to raise the fees every five years which would make 2014 the fifth year. The committee members said that they also discussed not raising the fees in 2014. It was suggested to start the five year plan in 2015. Kate asked why fees have to be raised. She said the idea is to have people use the pool.
- Lori said at the fundraiser for Center School where a season’s pass was part of the raffle, she overheard someone say that Mayfield Village’s pool is expensive if you don’t live in Mayfield Village. Peggy said there are a lot of school district residents at Parkview Pool.
- Tom said that we discussed leaving Mayfield Village resident rates alone and maybe raise the school district rates.
- Pat asked what the surrounding community rates are. Bill said he will find out and then it can be discussed at the January meeting.
- Pat said if someone has their own pool, it would cost a lot more than $255 to maintain it and keep it running during the season.
- Bill said if you count the days Parkview Pool is open, it’s a value.
Capital Requests for 2014
- Bill said he would like to replace the rectangular shade structures at the pool and add some more Funbrellas. He said he is looking at red, white and blue ones. Stivo asked why those colors and Bill said he thought it looked nice.
- The pool is going on 15 years so some of the operating equipment needs to be replaced or for aesthetic purposes. The heater may need to be replaced as well as the chlorinator. A new vacuum is needed and Bill would like to look into hand dryers in the locker rooms.
- Bill said he will be asking for the restrooms/storage building at the softball fields.
- Bill said he has talked to Ron about putting it in the budget and then it will go to Council.
- Bill said he would like to work with the Recreation Board members to offer something this winter, like a Winter Solstice event. He said that they could also plan some special events there in the future. As of now, the summer concerts for the seniors will be kept at the gazebo but they could plan other performances at the Grove. Post Note: A winter solstice event will not be planned due to insufficient marketing time.
- Meg said parking is going to be a concern during the summer months. Bill said we will be able to use the Progressive parking lot.
- The committee members discussed marketing efforts to the schools for programs. Lori said information can be sent to the schools and they post electronically. Bill said that is what we do but enrollment has dropped since we cannot send hard copies. Lori said she can take hard copies to her work station. Bill said we now even need permission for PA Announcements when we haven’t needed in the past. Bill said we try to leave flyers in the offices now too. Meg said maybe a booth can be set up periodically at the schools, like when the military comes in and sets up a display and recruits. Bill said he wasn’t sure if that would be a good idea. The committee also discussed setting up a booth at open house, conferences, etc. Bill liked that idea.
- Bill mentioned that lifeguards are needed at Wildcat Sport& Fitness.
- Bill said Council approved the fireworks for 2014. It is the same company as 2013.
The meeting concluded at 7:48 p.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center
Danielle M. Echt,
Assistant Recreation Director